Monday, January 9, 2012

Mama said there'd be days like this...

Well, day 2 in the country and I am already in crisis mode. Last night I slept all of 2 hours, and I woke up this morning ready to start my first day in Kabanana back to work. I went to the ATM to take out cash for paying school fees and as soon as I entered my pin #... the machine froze. The guard assured me this has happened already this week, and that it would unfreeze and my card would come out.

An hour later.......

A bank representitive shows up and told me it's the company policy that foreign cards are immediately shredded when the machine captures them. I start crying because this is my only access to my own money and the ministry money, and she calls her boss. I talk to that boss on the phone and she explains again that there's nothing they can do-- they destroy the card. I told her that was ludacris because it was THIER machine's malfunction.... so she hangs up and calls HER boss. Finally she calls back and tells me that they will save my card at the bank in Long Acres and to come pick it up at 10AM tomorrow. I thank her profusely... but I'm doubtful because when Katherine was here, they shredded her card even after promising to keep it.

I decide to go and pick up my liscense, which I was supposed to have gotten on the 21 of Nov.,  on the way to work because it's overdue and realize the paper to retreive it is not in my car, so I drive all the way home and search for 30 minutes to no avail... now I am crying again and so I pack up Fanny and Maureens gifts and the clothes for their kids in my car and head to Kabanana anyway to see what we can do with no cash.

On the way, a dog jumps out in front of the car and I slam on the breaks sending the baskets of gifts I spent an hour putting together last night flying all over my car. I stop to put them back and realize half the candies have already melted and are getting all over the presents so I have another good cry and just keep driving.

I got to Kabanana and saw Wisdom, Tisa and went to Protasho's and then over to see Amos's sister... then used up what was left in the wallet to get as many notebooks as we could promising more whenever.... just whenever.

On the way home I went to the Road Safety Place (you will kiss the DMV if you ever try to get a liscence in Zambia) and I walk up to the counter and started crying before I even started talking. I explained that I lost the paper and he said he couldnt give me the liscence and I'd have to start over....I cried a little harder and he finally asked if I had proof of identity. Of course.... I had left my passport at home but I knew the number so he reluctantly put it in the system and got my liscence out and gave it to me... I grabbed that thing and RAN.

On the way home, I stopped at the bank to re-affirm that I'd be coming in the morning. After waiting in line for 45 minutes, my number was called and I explained the whole story. The guy just looked at me and said, well I don't know what they are talking about because foreign cards get sent to the revenue place in town and get shredded we arent even involved in that. I started to cry. I said that the lady and the other lady and that lady's boss said to come here at 10 and pick it up and he said "we dont get any deliveries til 12" I thanked him for his encouragement...... and then he said "Look, if she said to come here, she must have made some arrangement so just come then."

Needless to say I will have another sleepless and prayerful night. If I dont get that card, my entire life and the ministry are pretty much on hold until I can have money and/or a new card sent here, which could take weeks. I am sweating to death- it's 101* out. My eyes are red and puffy and I feel helpless and irritated and scared and overwhelmed, already.


Time to get on my knees.

4 comments:

  1. Kat, Spending extra time today praying for you. I love you and wish I could 'make' it better- but instead I will go ask the ONLY ONE who can. love you,Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, Kat. Am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lying on the couch yesterday feeling crummy and Tom said to me, "have you read Kat's blog today?" I said no and he said, "She's had one of those *missionary days* and while you're lying there you could pray for her!" I did, but without knowledge (though I know the Lord knows what you are going through and what you need!). Today I'm well and able to get back on the computer. What a DAY you had! I can't help, but I know Someone who can and I'll beg Him for you that He will give you the grace you need to meet the challenges He has brought you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear 'Mother of Many'
    Johanna suggested I read your blog and I was blown away! Guess the enemy doesn't want you there at all. At any rate, I've been praying for you and know our Beloved, as Jo says, is the only One who can make it better and open the doors of your need - the All-Hearing, All-Caring One.
    Thank you so very much for your blog. It's so wonderfully honest and makes us a part of your precious family and the real needs.
    BTW, your presentation to the youth at Grace, Carlisle, was outstanding and I knew I was hearing a real Kat and not a performer. Todah!
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete